Learn about the animals that live in the coral reef, how they interact, and why the coral reef is important. Then, learn how we can help protect the coral reefs of the world with this hands-on Science Storytime unit.
The Coral Reef Systems Science Storytime unit provides a story-inspired introduction to the coral reef ecosystem.
Included are outlines of two different types of activity plans: one for younger children (ages 5-8) and the other for older children (8-12). Each activity day suggests one of the books from the extensive annotated book list, and of course, teachers can choose others if they want. This unit also includes its own ebook/booklet about coral reef ecosystems, as well as a reading comprehension page for the class to review together (younger children) or for each student to complete independently.
Then come the activities:
- Learn more about coral and label a diagram and/or find the details on real photographs of coral.
- Create your own coral out of salt dough.
- Demonstrate coral bleaching with thermochromic pigments in paint or salt dough.
- Play food web tag (a number of ideas included).
- Decorate a diorama of the coral reef as you learn about the creatures that live there.
- Research and write (or draw) about a coral reef creature in a mini-book. (grades 2+).
- As a group, write a blurb about various coral reefs throughout the world to make a newspaper (grades 4+).
- Finish it all off with a fun Coral Reef Systems review game! (Answers follow)
See also at TPT! Coral Reef Science Storytime Unit by Rebecca Reid | TpT (teacherspayteachers.com)