Introduce Patriot Day to your students with a passage about Patriot Day and the events of September 11, as well as some positive writing prompts. Here’s what included:
- Reading Passage A (5-6 grade reading level)
- Comprehension pages for A (vocabulary, 2 pages differentiated comprehension questions with multiple choice versus short answer)
Reading Passage B ((3-4 grade reading level)
- Comprehension pages for B (Vocabulary, 1 page true/false questions)
Patriot Day timeline and short answer page
- Writing Prompts: including the following: Why is 9/11 important to remember? How can you serve? What does “Patriotic” mean?; Create a Patriot Day Song List; Interview about 9/11; Acrostic poem for PATRIOT
- Patriot Day Crossword Puzzle with the following words: America, eleven, flags, helpers, heroes, honor, hope, memorial, patriot, remember, September, service, silence, united
- Photos from September 11 Memorial and Museum
Note: Because of the somber aspects of the September 11 events, I have tried to focus on the positive parts of the commemoration: the encouragement of all to serve one another and show patriotism for their country. I hope the ultimate response to these pages will be therefore positive rather than difficult for children. Of course, please pre-read the material here presented to determine the appropriateness for the children you work with.
30 pages in all, answers included.