Cinematic documentaries, movies set in a specific time period, chemists performing experiments on-screen: these are just a few of the ways that you can utilize movies in homeschooling to enhance learning. If you already use unit studies to teach your children then you probably know that a great way to meet the needs of your visual learners is through video. Video homeschooling helps to teach a lesson in a a more full, rich way.
While Netflix is a wonderful resource for family entertainment, did you know you can also use Netflix videos for education? Streaming videos is becoming the next big thing in video delivery, making learning opportunities an ever more affordable and available option.
Streaming Options for Video Homeschooling
These are just a few of the options available these days. If you have a smart TV or Roku or other streaming device be sure to check out the variety of apps available for streaming video. Some even allow you to login using your PC or Tablet.
10 Benefits to Using Movies in Homeschooling
▬ Movies enhance learning for visual learners.
▬ You can use Homeschool Video Courses for Multiple Ages. Tricia at Hodgepodge explains how this works.
▬ Movies create visual memories of lessons being taught from your textbooks.
▬ Videos build understanding of experiences that happen in other cultures, eras, or settings.
▬ Movies take the pressure of teaching off mom.
▬ Video homeschooling offers a great way to take a brain break while still keeping the day focused on education.
▬ Movies keep the mess out of the kitchen when seeing science experiments performed by video scientists.
▬ Videos make teaching complicated math concepts easy when someone else does the teaching.
▬ Movies bring history learning to life by helping kids to see what happened versus reading about what happened.
▬ It’s a fun way to learn and sometimes the kids don’t even realize it’s part of school.
For a great overview of how to implement video homeschooling into your routine, take a look at these ideas.
- 100 Educational Shows to Stream on Netflix available at Homeschool Hideout
- Best Educational YouTube Channels for Homeschoolers by Heather at Blog, She Wrote
- How to Effectively use Amazon Prime Videos for Homeschool from Rock Your Homeschool
- 16 Ultimate Homeschool Documentaries at All Natural Joy
- Educational Video Channel the Family Will Absolutely Love by Renée at Great Peace
- YouTube Channels for Homeschool at Kingdom First Homeschool
- Free Educational Videos at Homeschooling Ideas
History & Social Studies Video Homeschooling
Bring history to life!
- Homeschool History Teaching Ancient Civilizations Using Netflix at Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
- Homeschooling with Netflix | 100 History Documentaries at Raising Lifelong Learners
- Teaching Ancient History with Star Trek at Geek Families
- YouTube Playlist : American History at A Diligent Heart
- History Videos for Kids at Brookdale House
- World War 2 Movies to Watch with Your Kids at Adventures in Mommydom
- Educational Independence Day Videos for Kids at Geek Families
- 5 YouTube Channels that Rock Social Studies at The Musings of a History Gal
- White House Virtual Tour Field Trip at Class Tech Tips
- Civil Rights Movies for Middle School & High School at Creative Clever & Classy
- Homeschool Unit Studies: Ruby Bridges Unit Study at Look We’re Learning
Geography Homeschool Movies
Learn about the world.
- South and Central America Unit – Streaming Resources at Some Random Lady
- North Star Geography Video Selections at Layered Soul
- How to Make Geography Fun for Everyone! by Meg at Homeschool Gameschool
- Let’s Explore Australia! at Cornerstone Confessions
- Geography and History YouTube Channels for Elementary at Imagination Soup
Science Homeschool Movies
View great shows to get a better understanding of how the world works.
- Homeschooling with Netflix | Nature Study at Raising Lifelong Learners
- Teaching Homeschool Science with Videos at The Kennedy Adventures
- 10 Science YouTube Channels for Kids at Forgetful Momma
- How to Boost Homeschool Science with Amazon Prime Videos at Rock your Homeschool
- Human Body Videos for Kids available at Primary Theme Park
- Minute Physics (a Review) from Line upon Line Learning
- Amazing Videos about Snowflakes from Line upon Line Learning
Math Homeschool Movies
Refresh your rusty math skills and let homeschooling videos help you teach.
- Stop the Struggle: Amazing Math Videos for Middle School Math at Classically Homeschooling
- CTC Online Math: Affordable and Fun at Homeschool Hideout
- Math Videos That Teach Place Value at Lucky Little Learners
- 10 Best Homeschool Math Outsourced Options Online by Renée at Great Peace
- Digital currency: Video Games for Math at Unschool Rules
Art & Music Video Homeschooling
Teach a great appreciation for fine arts from home.
- 10 YouTube Channels That Bring The Arts Into Your Homeschool at Homeschooling Today
- How to Spark Creativity with Homeschool Art Lessons by Renée at Great Peace
- 10 YouTube Channels to Bring the Arts into Your Homeschool at Homeschooling Today
- 15 Must-See Movie Musicals for High School at Music in Our Homeschool
- Review Of Hoffman Academy’s Piano Lessons For Kids at Psycho with 6
Preschool and Kindergarten Homeschool Movies
Help your littlest ones learn during their movie time.
- Learning with Netflix : Preschool and Kindergarten at A Diligent Heart
- Bats & Spider Videos for Kids at Simply Kinder
- Preschool at Home with Netflix at Raising Lifelong Learners
- Videos about Plants at Simply Kinder
- 9 Math YouTube Channels for Preschool Kids at iGameMom.com
With all the streaming channels available these days, from YouTube to Amazon Prime and everything in between you’ll have no lack of learning opportunities for your family. On YouTube you can search for just about anything and find some fantastic options. With Netflix, Curiosity Stream, and Discovery Channels you’ll find a vast library of documentaries, period movies, science discussions and much more.
The digital age has many advantages for homeschooling parents and video homeschooling is just one more way that you can enhance your children’s education and make learning exciting.
What are some of your favorite educational videos?
See some more Teaching with Technology ideas!